In light of Brazil hosting the world cup, I wanted to post some interesting facts about the country:
- First, let’s all just accept that Shakira has cornered the market on World Cup theme songs (even though her hips don’t lie, she still can’t top the way Ricky moves).
- The name Brazil comes from the brazilwood tree.
- The largest country in South America, Brazil is also home to approximately 2,500 airports.
- Brazil takes up 47 percent of the continent of South America.
- The Christ Redeemer in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, is one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- Scientists believe the first settlers in Brazil arrived 32,000 years ago.
- The Portuguese began settling Brazil in 1500 A.D. Today, it is the largest Portuguese-speaking nation in the world, nearly 19 times the population of Portugal.
- There are 13 cities in Brazil whose populations exceed 1 million people. 43 percent of all Brazilians live in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
- More than half of all Brazilians consider themselves to be of European origin (Portugal, Italy, Spain, Germany and Eastern Europe). More than 44 percent are black or of mixed-race (National Geographic).
- The Nazis planned to establish a South American outpost in Brazil prior to World War II.
- Brazil is the most Catholic country in the world with more than 123 million self-described believers (followed by Mexico, the U.S. and the Philippines).
Oh, and you probably figured it would be expensive to go to Brazil for the games. But, did you think it would be this expensive?